Public Advocates Inc. seeks an experienced and dynamic non-profit professional to play an influential leadership role in ensuring that our civil rights law firm and advocacy organization has the exceptional administrative services needed to fulfill our mission. The Director will provide strong finance, human resources, and operations oversight and will have an opportunity to both shape and implement systems and staffing. The person selected will join a respected, growing organization with a $2M annual budget, 20-person staff, and a storied 40-year history of fighting the root causes of poverty and discrimination through tangible legal victories and strengthening the voices of low-income people and people of color.
The Director will be a key member of the senior leadership team, working closely with the President. S/he will have responsibility for management and delivery of quality services in:
- Financial planning and operations, including accounting and audit, grant development and reporting, board and finance committee procedures, and investments
- Human resources, including recruiting, professional and organizational development, employee relations, compensation and personnel policies, benefits, and administrative staff supervision
- Information technology
- Operations, including office systems, purchasing, facilities, and records management
There is potential for growth in fundraising, strategic planning, board development, and collaboration with other organizations, based on interest, experience, and aptitude.
Qualifications and Experience
Qualities expected of all Public Advocates staff include integrity, high professional standards, and commitment to progressive social change, to our mission, and to working successfully with diverse colleagues, clients, and collaborators. Cooperation, responsiveness, candor, resilience, optimism, curiosity, and a sense of humor are valued.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Strong skills and a record of increasing responsibility over 8-10+ years for organization and project management and supervision
- Experience in budgeting, accounting, and financial oversight and operations, including knowledge of accounting software (we use FUND E-Z)
- Excellent judgment and capacity to see both the big picture and practical needs, to imagine new approaches, and to tackle challenges enthusiastically
- Success in process management, priority setting, system creation, meeting and decision-making facilitation, and negotiation
- Sharp attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly and comfortably, including ability to present complex and technical information effectively
- Talent for recruiting, training and motivating staff and selecting and managing consultants
- Ability to manage IT services
- Non-profit, advocacy, community and/or government organization experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, possibly MBA/MPA/advanced degree
Compensation & Work Setting
Competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full benefits package. Office located on the Embarcadero in San Francisco, near the Ferry Building, convenient to public transportation.
Applications must include: cover letter addressing your experience, including a project or challenge you've handled that will help us understand your qualifications for this position; complete resume; salary history and requirements; and three relevant references. Only complete applications that include these materials will be considered. Submit electronic application in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
Public Advocates values diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, and anyone belonging to another federal or state protected category.